Providence Presbyterian Church exists to make disciples. (Matthew 28:18-20, WCF XXV.IIIa)
Providence Presbyterian Church works to see every man, woman and child in the world trusting Jesus Christ. To accomplish this we will...
- ENGAGE in relationships with people who are new to us;
- EQUIP each other to love and serve Jesus Christ;
- EMPOWER one another to own and expand our ministries.
In 1983, a handful of believers began meeting together for Bible study and prayer with an eye toward beginning a Reformed Presbyterian church in York. In June of that year, York County native Don Waltermeyer joined the group as a regular preacher/teacher. In December of 1983, the group voted to affiliate with the PCA.
Providence Presbyterian Church was organized as a particular church with Don Waltermyer as Pastor in February of 1986. Pastor Andy Phillips was later called as Senior Pastor in 1995, and the church was greatly blessed by his ministry and leadership until his departure in January 2012. Pastor Vince Wood, the current Senior Pastor, began his ministry in December 2012.
In its early days, Providence Presbyterian Church met in The Seventh Day Adventist Church building on Roosevelt Boulevard and Kenneth Road. In 1989, five acres of land were purchased on Church Road. After several attempts to break ground, construction began in September of 1996. On March 16, 1997, the first worship service was held at our current location at 1215 Church Road.
In January of 2003, Providence sent out Associate Pastor Dale Buettner and ten families to begin a daughter church on the south side of York. Today, New Life has about 110 people worshiping together and in 2011, the congregation moved into a permanent building on Cape Horn Road in York. In September of 2009, we planted our second daughter church in the city of York. Associate Pastor Aaron Anderson and eleven families established City Church, which meets in center city at Logos Academy with over 100 people in attendance each week.