In 1983, a handful of believers began meeting together for Bible study and prayer with an eye toward beginning a Reformed Presbyterian church in York. In June of that year, York County native Don Waltermeyer joined the group as a regular preacher/teacher. In December of 1983, the group voted to affiliate with the PCA.
Providence Presbyterian Church was organized as a particular church with Don Waltermeyer as Pastor in February of 1986. Pastor Andy Phillips was later called as Senior Pastor in 1995, and the church was greatly blessed by his ministry and leadership until his departure in January 2012. Pastor Vince Wood, the current Senior Paster began his ministry in December 2012.
In its early days, Providence Presbyterian Church met in The Seventh Day Adventist Church building on Roosevelt Boulevard and Kenneth Road. In 1989, five acres of land was purchased on Church Road. After several attempts to break ground, construction finally began in September of 1996. On March 16, 1997, the first worship service was held at our current location at 1215 Church Road.
In January of 2003, Providence sent out Associate Pastor Dale Buettner and ten families to begin a daughter church on the south side of York. Today, New Life has about 110 people worshiping together and in 2011, the congregation moved into a permanent building on Cape Horn Road in York. In September of 2009, we planted our second daughter church in the city of York. Associate Pastor Aaron Anderson and eleven families established City Church, which meets in center city at Logos Academy with over 100 people in attendance each week.
To have a positive, measurable impact for all people in the York metro area through a balanced ministry of the Gospel, in which Providence Church becomes:
- A ministering community where Christ ministers to and through us, so that genuine relationships are fostered, sacrificial service is offered, people are cared for and thus encouraged to live God pleasing lives.
- Marked by excellence in Christ-centered worship; regulated by the Scriptures and reflecting a blend of styles consistent with our context and historical tradition.
- Known by our love for our neighbors, so that through meaningful, personal relationships, the uncertain and searching account for the majority of our growth.
- A church that actively seeks to serve our community, so that as its culture is renewed and transformed, and that a measurable impact is effected for all people living in the York metro area.
- Aggressive in planting daughter churches throughout York county and consistently engaged in various aspects of church planting locally, nationally and internationally.
Our PurposeProvidence Presbyterian Church exists to glorify God through Christ by being a caring family of worshipers who are being equipped to serve and reach out by significant involvement in the life of the church. We are a teaching church, committed to God-centered worship, being a family to all our members, and to the practice of the means of grace.